Description of our services and goalsOur mission is to improve shoppers' buying experience and help them save more by searching less. To do that, we show you personalized content and ads we think you'll be interested in based on information we collect from you and third parties. We only use that information where we have a proper legal basis for doing so.
- 'Data' means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'), such as a name, an identification number, an online identifier etc. and it includes any information that directly, indirectly, or in connection with other information allows for the identification or identifiability of a natural person;
- 'Processing' means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction;
- 'Processing controller' means a natural or legal person, public body, agency or other body which, alone or together with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data.
- 'Processor' means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or any other body which processes personal data on behalf of the controller.
- 'Cookie' means a small piece of data stored on your computer by your web browser used to identify your browser, provide analytics, remember information about you such as your language preference;
- 'Data protection officer' refers to a designated person in the Company who is in charge of the procedures related to the personal data processing;
- 'End customer' refers to a person that, due to the recommendation of our users, buys a product advertised at our site;
- 'Our site' refers to recommend.co;
- 'Service' means a service provided by Recommend;
- 'Supervisory authority' means an independent public authority;
- 'User' means a person with a registered account at our site and it includes users registered as customers, users registered as merchants and users registered as content creators.
3. How and when we collect data3.1. When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain itWhen you sign up for or use Recommend you voluntarily share certain data including your name, email address, phone number, photos, recommendations, and any other information you give us. You can also choose to share your precise location using your device settings or through photos. We will still use your IP address, which is used to approximate your location, even if you don't choose to share your precise location. You will also have the option to share other information about yourself such as your gender, age, and preferred language. If you connect your Facebook, Google, or other third-party accounts to Recommend, we use information from those accounts (such as your friends or contacts) to improve your Recommend experience. This is dependent on the privacy policies or settings for those accounts.3.2. We also get technical information when you use RecommendWhen you use a website, mobile application or another internet service, certain internet and electronic network activity information gets created and logged automatically. This is also true when you use Recommend. Here are some of the types of data we collect:
3.3. Our partners and advertisers share information with usWe also get information about you and your activity outside Recommend from our affiliates, advertisers, partners and other third parties we work with. For example:
- Log data. When you use Recommend, our servers record information (“log data”), including information that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit a website, or that your mobile app automatically sends when you’re using it. This log data includes your Internet Protocol address (which we use to infer your approximate location), the address of and activity on websites you visit that incorporate Recommend features (like the “Save” button—more details below), searches, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used Recommend, cookie data and device data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using Recommend on, including the type of device, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers and crash data that helps us understand when something breaks.
- Clickstream data and inferences. When you’re on Recommend, we use your activity—such as which products you click on, boards you create, and product links that you generated from Recommend—along with information you provided when you first signed up and information from our partners and advertisers to make inferences about you and your preferences. For example, if you create a board about fashion, we may infer you are a fashion enthusiast. We may also infer information about your education or professional experience based on your activity when you link your account to accounts you have with third parties like Facebook or Google.
You can control how we use this information to personalize your experience and the ads you see on Recommend in your Privacy and Data Settings.
- Some websites or apps use Recommend features such as our “Save” button, or you may install our “Save” button for your browser. If so, we collect log data from those sites or apps.
- Online advertisers or third parties share information with us to measure, report on or improve the performance of ads on Recommend, or to figure out what kinds of ads to show you on or off Recommend. This includes information about your visits to an advertiser's site or purchases you made from them, or information about your interests from a third-party service, which we might use to help show you ads.
4. What we do with the data we collectWe're committed to showing you content that's relevant, interesting and personal to you. To do that, we use your information to provide and improve your experience, including:
We have a legitimate interest in using your info in these ways. It's fundamental to what we do at Recommend and necessary to make Recommend and its features relevant and personalized to you.We also have a legitimate interest in making Recommend safe and improving our product features, so you keep finding the products you love in less time and at the best price. We all benefit when we use your information to:
- Identify you when you use Recommned.
- Recommendation of products, boards, blogs or categories you might like based on your activity on Recommend. For example, if we see you're into cooking, we may suggest food-related recommendations, boards or people that we think you might like, or show you food-related ads.
- Provide you with the most up-to-date products relevant to your interests.
We have a legitimate interest in delivering ads that are relevant, interesting and personal to you in order to generate revenue. To further these interests we use the information we collect to:
- Suggest other people who have similar interests. For example, if you follow interior design boards, we may suggest interior designers that you might like.
- Help your friends and contacts find you on Recommend. For example, if you sign up using a Facebook account, we can help your Facebook friends find you on Recommend when they first sign up for Recommend. Or people can search for your account on Recommend using your email.
- Work with law enforcement and keep Recommend safe. We may get requests for account information from law enforcement authorities like the police or courts.
- Review your content on Recommend to detect activity that poses a risk to the safety of you, our community and/or members of the public.
- Conduct analytics and research on who is using Recommend and what they are doing. For example, by logging how often people use two different versions of a feature on Recommend, we can understand which version is better.
- Improve Recommend and offer new features.
- Advertise Recommend products and services to you on other sites. You can choose for us not to share your information with other sites to personalize those ads.
- Send you updates (such as when certain activity, like saves or price decreases, happens on Recommend) and news by email or push notification, depending on your settings. For example, we send weekly updates that include Recommendations you may like. You can decide to stop getting these notifications by updating your settings.
- Tell our ad partners how their Recommend ads are doing, and how to make them better. Some of this information is aggregated. For example, we would report to an advertiser that a certain percentage of people who viewed a Promoted Recommendation went on to visit that advertiser's site. Depending upon where you live and your settings, we may also disclose this information at an individual level; this information isn’t aggregated. For example, we would let an advertiser know that a particular Promoted Recommendation has been saved by certain people.
- Send you marketing materials by email, text, push notification or phone call depending on your account or operating system settings. Each time we send you marketing materials, we give you the option to unsubscribe.
- Identify your precise location and customize the recommendations and ads we show you. For example, if we know that you’re near a retailer we may show you that retailer’s Recommendations that may be of interest to you. You can opt in to this in your device operating system settings.
- Depending on where you live and your settings, tell our ad partners how their ads are doing using the Recommend Token. The Recommend Token (a piece of code an advertiser puts on their site) delivers insights to us and our ad partners about actions that a person takes on their website after viewing an ad on Recommend.
5. Your rights over the data that we collect5.1. You have the right to obtain from the controller a confirmation of whether personal data relating to you are being processed and, if so, access to personal data and further information and a copy of the data in accordance with Art. 15 of the GDPR.5.2. You also have the right to obtain from the controller the correction of inaccurate personal data concerning you or the completion of data concerning you, in accordance with Art. 16 GDPR.5.3. In accordance with Art. 17. GDPR, you have the right to request that the relevant data be deleted without undue delay or, alternatively, to request a restriction on data processing in accordance with Art. 18 of the GDPR.5.4. In accordance with Art. 20 of the GDPR the right to receive personal data relating to you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, frequently used, and machine-readable format and the right to transfer this data to another controller.5.5. In accordance with Art. 77 GDPR, you also have the right to appeal to the supervisory authority.
6. Right of withdrawalYou have the right to withdraw consents given in accordance with Art. 7 (3) of the GDPR with effect in the future.
7. Right to objectYou may object to future processing of data concerning you in accordance with Art. 21 of the GDPR at any time. An objection may be filed specifically against processing for direct marketing purposes.
9. Choices you have about your dataOur goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices regarding your information. If you have a Recommend account, many of these controls are built directly into Recommend or your settings. For example, you can:
You also have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access Recommend. For example:
- Edit information in your profile at any time
- Link or unlink your Recommend account from other services (like Facebook, Google or Twitter).
- Edit unpublished board settings. Unpublished boards are visible to you only.
- Choose whether Recommend ads delivered to you on other platforms, sites or apps are customized using information about your account activities. You can control this by visiting your settings and updating your “Personalization” preferences.
- Choose whether Recommend shares information about your activity on Recomemnd for ads performance reporting. You can control this by visiting your settings and updating your “Data Personalization” preferences.
- Close your account at any time. When you close your account, we’ll deactivate it, remove your Recommendations and boards from Recommend and delete your account data. Please note that there may be legal reasons for us to keep your data, such as if we receive a law enforcement request asking us to preserve data. We may also retain certain information in our backup systems for a limited period of time, or as required by law.
To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by your device or software provider.
- The browser you use lets you control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device lets you choose how and whether your precise location, photos, contacts and other data is shared with us.
10. Transferring your informationRecommend is a worldwide service. By using our products or services, you authorize us to transfer and store your information outside your home country, including in the United States, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those of your home country.
11. How and where we share informationAnyone can see the public boards and recommendations you create and profile information you give us. We also make this public information available through what are called APIs (basically a technical way to share information quickly). For example, a partner can study what their most popular product recommendations are or how their products are being shared on Recommend by using a Recommend API.We also share your information with:
- Other services, at your direction, to enable you to sign up for or log in to Recommend, or when you decide to link your Recommend account to those services, like Facebook or Google, or when you publish your content on Recommend to them. For example, if you choose to publish your Recommendations to Facebook or Twitter, then information about that content will be shared with Facebook or Twitter.
- Services we use to market Recommend to you on sites and apps other than Recommend, such as Facebook Ads, Google Marketing Platform, Microsoft Advertising, LinkedIn Advertising, The Trade Desk and others from time to time. You can opt-out of sharing with such advertising services in your settings.
- Online advertisers and third-party companies that we or they use to audit or improve the delivery and performance of ads or content on websites and apps (for example, through Google Analytics). This includes us sharing the Product Recommendations or ads you were shown on Recommend and whether or how you engaged with those Product Recommendations or ads, or other information about your activity on Recommend. Learn more about how we share information with online advertisers . To learn more about third-party companies that analyze ad performance, please visit our Help Center .
- Law enforcement agencies or government agencies. We only share information if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or Recommend; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Our wholly-owned subsidiaries and affiliates. If we were to engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy, we would share your information with a party involved in such a process (for example, a potential purchaser).
- To enhance our services, we may send your personal information outside of Croatia and European Union, including to the United States. This data may be subject to the laws of the countries where we send it. We try to only send your information to countries that have strong data protection laws. As mentioned, while we do what we can to protect your information, we may at times be legally required to disclose your personal information (for example, if we receive a valid court order) so in those cases, we might disclose your personal data to persons other than those mentioned in this section.
12. Our policy on children's informationChildren under 13 are not allowed to use Recommend. If you are based in the EEA you may only use Recommend if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country.
13. Residents of the EEAIf you have any questions about our data processing activities, the data controller you should contact is Recommend Adriatic d.o.o., a Croatian company with its registered office at Zagreb (Grad Zagreb), Ulica kneza Borne 1, OIB: 58129742633. You can also contact our Data Protection Officer.
If you think that we haven't complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission in Croatia or with your local supervisory authority.
Because Recommend is a worldwide service, we may transfer the personal data of EEA residents to a country outside the EEA. Where we transfer information from the EEA to a country that doesn't provide an adequate level of protection, we’ll only do so under appropriate safeguards to protect your information, like standard contractual clauses.
15. Contact usThe best way to get in touch with us or to exercise your options described above is through the Help center